lkevans

L.K. Evans Blog

Author L.K. Evans Blog

Exile
R.A. Salvatore
Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods Book 1)
Terry C. Simpson
D.Z.C.

Review of Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Prince of Thorns - Mark  Lawrence

I LOVED IT

I’m a little... sad. This book was heavy for me, but in a delightfully addictive way.

So there’s two sides to me. One that thinks everyone can be saved, that every soul has something salvageable in them. I want to see the good in people. Then there’s the other side who sees all the bad and doesn’t hold an ounce of hope. I can’t imagine anything in a person who murders a child that deserves even my spit. Those two sides are constantly waging a war. So, for me, Jorg fit in nicely with my little internal battle. He’s a character that lives up to my hopelessness while teasing me with tastes of a long forgotten, long buried good. The book is a tug-of-war on those emotions. Personally, it’s a total change of pace that ensnared me rather quickly. I like darker books, darker characters, so this energized me. I will say that this book is definitely not for everyone. There will be (and are based on other reviews) readers who can’t stand Jorg and won’t finish the book because of some of his actions.

The world was another crazy tornado Lawrence threw at me. I don’t usually spend too much time thinking on a world. It’s always a mere glimpse, and once I’ve got a good base understanding, I don’t give it a second thought. This book, however, threw me later on with mentions of... I’ll just say “stuff,” that had me reeling with questions. That’s a damn hard thing to do to me.  Worlds are always secondary to characters, but Lawrence made me curious. At the moment, I can’t think of another author who actually got me to sit up and take notice of a world as he did.

A lot of the secondary characters were heaped together in a rowdy bunch of men. A few characters stepped out of the mold, but I personally feel that Jorg simply stole the show, especially since it’s in his PoV. We don’t venture from it, which I must say I enjoyed.

Lawrence’s voice was also a huge bonus for me. I enjoyed his writing immensely. The way he wrote Jorg was simply amazing. How he could get me to hate a character as much as I loved him is beyond me. I think maybe it was Jorg’s age that had me aching. I think if Jorg was thirty, I wouldn’t have liked him. Even though he talked like an adult, there were times when his age showed: A boy who’d seen and experienced stuff no child should and had no idea how to properly deal with it.

I can’t say why I’m not obsessed by this book. I want to read the next one, and within this month. I thought about the book when I wasn’t reading it and found every ounce of opportunity to sit down with it. But I’m still at the slightest distance from it. I think I need more time with Jorg, to understand more, to delve deeper into his character. Maybe after the second book I’ll become obsessed. I’m certainly looking forward to the possibility.

So overall, I’m absolutely in love with this book. I’ve recommended it to a few people, but not my mom. She wouldn’t appreciate it. However, I think my sister would enjoy it. If you can stand a darker character, I can’t recommend this enough.

Source: http://booksbylkevans.com/2014/09/04/review-of-prince-of-thorns-by-mark-lawrence