lkevans

L.K. Evans Blog

Author L.K. Evans Blog

Exile
R.A. Salvatore
Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods Book 1)
Terry C. Simpson
People Like Us
D.Z.C.

Review of Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan

The Autumn Republic - Brian  McClellan

All pit breaks loose in this book. Adro is in occupied by a foreign invader, there’s a Kez army camped on her boarders, and betrayal is rampant.

Gosh, where do I begin? This is a hard review for me to write. Those who follow my reviews know that I’m a character driven reader. They are what make me come back to a series. So after book one and certainly after book 2, I was completely obsessed by Taniel. Don’t get me wrong, Olem, Pole, and Tamas are some of my favorites as well, but Taniel is the one I gravitated to the most. Which is why this review is hard to write.

If I sit back and think about my feelings while I had been reading the book, they were nothing shy of enthralled and angry that I couldn’t read faster. I was caught up in it all and was damn curious how McClellan planned on closing this series. I wasn’t disappointed. The ending, though I was expecting some of it, was well written and managed to get me to shed a tear to two. So while reading, I was utterly in love. Then it was over and...

I felt a tad bit little cheated. Upon reflection, I wasn’t as satisfied as I was with book 2, which happens to be my favorite. After much deliberation, I was able to understand why: I didn’t get enough Taniel and Pole time. Since those two are the ones who drive my obsession, I wanted more than what I got. In book 2, Taniel had some amazing fight scenes and I really missed those in this book.

There was also a ... how can I say this? Lack of closeness, maybe? In book 2, the battles and scenes were personal to the characters; smaller fights, close quarters, smaller scale. Those that might have been more high level were short and sweet. In book 3, there’s much more of a battlefield feel to it, more overview of how the entire fight is going. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still amazing. The scenes are done incredibly well and are needed, but since I’m a character reader, I like those more closed in battles.

What I was pleased with was the development of Nila, who happened to be one of my least favorite characters in the first two books. She took a turn for the better and made her PoV sections as interesting as Adamant, a storyline that is needed and can be—for me—either incredibly interesting or ever so slightly boring. I can’t help but wish her page time could have been shortened and Taniel’s lengthened.

Tamas’s storyline was a whirlwind. Poor guy never had a chance to breathe. His sections propelled the story onward while others gave us some breathers. I feel we got a lot more time with him, Adamant, and Nila, so if you love any of those characters, you’ll definitely love this book.

It might sound like I didn’t love the book, but it’s quite the opposite. I’ll read this series many times over. McClellan has my attention and I’m going to be a lifelong fan. I hear he’s writing another series set in the same world and I can’t wait. I’ve got a few of his short stories to read, but they won’t last long. After those, I’ll be impatiently waiting for the next thing McClellan types out.

So overall, a fantastic end to a great series and I’ll happily recommend these books to everyone.

Source: http://booksbylkevans.com/2015/02/25/review-of-the-autumn-republic-by-brian-mcclellan