lkevans

L.K. Evans Blog

Author L.K. Evans Blog

Exile
R.A. Salvatore
Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods Book 1)
Terry C. Simpson
People Like Us
D.Z.C.

Review of One by Ron Glick

One (The Godslayer Cycle Volume 1) - Ron Glick, Pamela L Phelps

But it is the way of corrupt men to protect other corrupt men.

To boil down this plot, it’s about a man deciding if he will help the old gods kill off some new gods (or rather, the New Order), and another guy who picks up a sword meant for the chosen guy and then thinks he’s a god because of the sword’s power. And then there’s a priestess of the New Order who learns her god was not all she had thought.

If this book was half the length, I would have loved it. As it was, it just felt entirely too long, drawn out, redundant, and slow. Shame, cause I really did enjoy the basic story.

The world was focused on religion instead of government, but what we learned was good enough for me to be satisfied with the world building. Others might find it slightly lacking, as we really are focused purely on the religion aspect.The New Order has come to the world and taken over the worshippers of the old gods, thus making them pretty much powerless. Magic is explored, how gods receive their power is explored, and our characters’ struggles to decide what to do is definitely explored. All in detail. For me, too much exposition and not enough story movement. Like I said, if all this exploration would have been cut in half, I might have really enjoyed this. As it was, I skimmed. A lot.

The characters were explored enough. I felt I knew what motivated them, their struggles, their reasoning. However, if I look back, they felt a tiny bit flat. Through all the pages of dialog, I never felt a personality really shine. Of course, this could be simply because I did skim, or because it all felt long and my mind wasn’t in it 100%. Shame, because as I said, the story idea, while not completely original, was still fun and interesting. Also, the dwarf’s dialog was a pain to read. The accent used was fun at first, but when you get into pages of conversations, it isn’t fun anymore.

Now, I keep saying it was a long read. For me, the writing was heavy. Meaning, the sentences were incredibly lengthy at times, there was a lot of word repetition from one sentence to the next, and I felt a lot of redundancies in not only musings of the characters but settings as well. Here’s an example:

Up until four years ago, Nathaniel had actually lived in town and had witnessed quite a few oddities himself. Only Bracken himself knew many had come before Nathaniel had begun frequenting the tavern or since he had moved his family out of the town proper, moving into the property he had inherited from his mother.

That’s only two sentences. This happened a lot, which is why I ended up skimming.

The other thing that threw me off was the head hopping. There was a lot. Paragraph to paragraph sometimes. I can’t remember ever loving a book that head hopped, except for the Dragonlance books. Those will always get a pass. For me, I just can’t sink myself into a story if I’m moving from character to character so abruptly.

Again, the story idea was great. Mortals caught in the middle a power struggle between two sets of gods. A few men and women chosen to be their vessels to gain dominance and kill off the losing gods. A beaten down outcast coming into power and how he handles it. All great potential, all interesting and fun. It just didn’t get there fast enough for me.

Overall, this is a great story idea that took too long to unravel and move. It’s not a short 200 page book that you can blow through. It’s over 400 pages. However, it’s got a great average rating on Goodreads. For those with patience, you might really enjoy this. Sadly, I lack a drop of patience.