lkevans

L.K. Evans Blog

Author L.K. Evans Blog

Exile
R.A. Salvatore
Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods Book 1)
Terry C. Simpson
The Shadowbearer
Terry C. Simpson
The War Of The Dwarves
Markus Heitz
People Like Us
D.Z.C.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

A Game of Thrones  - George R.R. Martin I know, I know! I'm one of the few. I just couldn't get into it. I tried. I have a hard time saying why, too.
I liked the prologue enough, and I thought I was in for a treat. But after a few hundred pages, I found myself not reading as I read. It seemed a chore to pick up. After I started dreading it, I stopped reading. I found that I didn't care for any characters yet, which for me, is a must if I'm gong to read. I have to at least be mildly interested in SOMEBODY. I hear it gets better. But with so many other options, I want better now. :)
As for the series being 'different' or 'fresh', I'm not so sure. It didn't feel all the revolutionary to me, but then again, I didn't get far.
Regardless, I enjoy the old school fantasy books full of hope and cheesy dialog. I do LOVE a dark book crammed with one obstacle after another until you feel you can't breathe while reading because everything seems so hopeless. You know, the one you actually ache in sympathy for the main character who gets knocked down only to rise and hit repeat because they refuse to give up. I didn't FEEL anything in GOT. No humor, sadness, cheering, yelling at the characters. Nothing.
So for me, I couldn't finish it.