lkevans

L.K. Evans Blog

Author L.K. Evans Blog

Exile
R.A. Salvatore
Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods Book 1)
Terry C. Simpson
People Like Us
D.Z.C.

Review of The Forgotten King by Brian Beam

The Forgotten King - Brian Beam

This book frustrated me. I’m still a fan of Beam and I’ll buy the next book in this series. Furthermore, I’ll pick up his next series as well (if there is one, which I do hope so). But when looking at this book compared to others I’ve rated 4 stars, it just doesn’t quite stack up. Close, but not there. And please, keep in mind that, for me, 3 stars isn’t a bad thing. Hell, a lot of my Dean Koontz and David Eddings’s books are 3 stars and both are authors I thoroughly enjoy.

So why was I frustrated? There was so much recapping from book one that it dragged this book down. In addition, there was so much repetitive internal processing that I ended up skipping those sections about 30% into it. Furthermore, I think the writing felt a little rushed—not the story, the writing.

In this book, I liked the ending way better than the beginning (opposite from book 1). The last 20% of this book was a solid 4 stars for me. But I can’t ignore the numerous sections recounting book one. I really wish 1) I’d taken a month between reading the first and second book, and 2) I wish the second book was shorter. If some of the recapping and repetitive internal dialog were cut down, I’d have enjoyed this way more than I did, and it would have been a very solid 4 stars.

Now that the negative is out of the way, on to the positive.

There’s still a nice dose of action. While the story might not have advanced as quickly as preferred, there was always danger, fleeing, and fighting. For me, that’s a plus. There was one section that involved Korin, a green crystal, and ellifill that was done brilliantly, was harrowing for the character, and really added some depth to him. Little moments like those kept me going, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The ending was a rush of action and explanation. It awarded me a few confirmations to some theories, but more so, it gifted me a handful of: “Well I didn’t see that coming.” I thoroughly enjoyed the ending and sped through it with the burning need to know what was happening. Like I said, I really enjoyed the ending. If I would have rated this the moment I finished it, with the ending fresh, I probably would have given it four stars. But I slept on it and realized that 80% of the book needed to drop some stuff for me to feel that way about the entire book. If I could, I’d give it 3.5 stars. I liked it. And there were parts I really liked. And then there were a handful that I absolutely loved. It’s those moments and my investment in Korin that will have me buying the third book.

So in conclusion, if you liked book one, I highly recommend picking up book two a month or so from finishing book one. I think I’d have enjoyed it more if I’d done that, and probably would have been fine with the recaps.

Source: http://booksbylkevans.com/2014/03/24/review-of-the-forgotten-king-by-brian-beam